“There is no reward equal to that of doing the most good to the most people in the most need.”
Evangeline Booth, former commander of the U.S. Salvation Army and former general of the worldwide Salvation Army
The Salvation Army has been serving the Fort Wayne area since 1886. Our ministries enable us to share the love of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ while helping to better the lives of those in need in Allen County. The Salvation Army is interested in more than temporary solutions. We do more than feed, clothe, and help with immediate financial emergencies. We attempt to help individuals find a way to get back on their feet permanently. Most importantly, we share the love of Jesus Christ with everyone who enters our doors.
Each of our programs listed below requires a confidential interview with a social services staff member, at which time the clients’ needs will be assessed and the type and amount of assistance will be determined. The following is required at the time of the interview:
- Photo ID
- Proof of current address
- Some types of assistance require additional information – see below
The Salvation Army Social Service programs:
Rental / Mortgage Assistance
- When funds are available assistance for rent or mortgage is done by appointment only. Clients can only receive assistance once a year and we must have a copy of the action letter from township, a copy of your lease or a copy of your last months rent receipt
Electric / Gas Assistance
- When funds are available assistance for electric or gas is done by appointment only. Clients can only receive assistance once a year and we must have a copy of the action letter from township.
- Assistance available Monday – Friday 9am to 4pm. Clients can only receive assistance twice in a lifetime and at least 6 months apart and we must have a disconnect notice and a copy of the denial letter from township.
- Assistance available Tuesday and Thursday from 12:00pm to 3:00pm or until we have reached our maximum limit for the day. No appointment is necessary – first come – first served. Clients can only receive assistance every three months and must have a photo ID and a piece of mail showing current address. Only one application accepted per household.
- Passes are available for individuals seeking transportation to work, doctor appointments or job search. We receive a set amount each month and distribute them on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. New clients for bus passes can receive 1 pass for two months in a row, but then can only receive them every three months. Existing clients can receive passes every three months.
- Clothing vouchers are issued to individuals recently released from state or federal institutions. ID and release papers are required. Vouchers may also be issued to individuals in crisis situations, which is determined on a case by case basis. Please contact The Salvation Army for more details.
Emergency Disaster Assistance
- Emergency Disaster Assistance provides assistance to victims of disaster situation such as floods, house fires, etc. Vouchers may be written to our local thrift stores for items lost in the disaster. All victims must have necessary paperwork (i.e. fire report) verifying their need.
- When temperatures reach below 10 degrees, The Salvation Army opens as a temporary warming center WHEN REQUESTED BY THE RESCUE MISSION.