The Harbor Light Center began in Indianapolis in 1949, on South Capital, which then became the Divisional Headquarters of The Salvation Army in Indianapolis. When the headquarters moved to 226 East Michigan Street, the building was remodeled to accommodate 120 low-income, homeless, transient, and alcoholic men. In April of 1950, the Harbor Light Center building was re-dedicated. Envoy Vernon Hostetler was the Center Corps Officer. Participating in the re-dedication were Governor Clifford Townsend, Central Territory Commissioner William A. McIntyre, Indiana Divisional Commander Lt. Col. Bertram Rodda, and Advisory Board Chairman Frederick E. Schortemeier.
On January 10, 1971, a new facility at 311 North Capitol was dedi8cated, and the old facility was demolished to make way for the Indiana Convention Center. The 20,000 square foot building contained a chapel with a seating capacity of 100, housing capacity for 148 residents, including dormitories for transients, short-term residents, alcoholic treatment, and small semi-private living quarters.
In the late 1970s, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Johnson donated land at the corner of Pennsylvania and St. Joseph Streets for the new relocation of the programs. Dedication of the new facility at 927 North Pennsylvania Street, with a capacity of 155 beds, took place on June 28, 1981.
In 1996, changes in State funding resulted in Harbor Light Center becoming a managed care organization for substance abuse. The Center received accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) in 1999.
In 2000, continued growth in the harbor Light Center’s programs sparked a search for a larger facility. The Pleasant Run Children’s home, a large complex on the city’s west side, happened to be sitting vacant at the time. The Harbor Light Center purchased the property in July, 2001 and on November 10, 2001, the new facility at 2400 North Tibbs Avenue was dedicated.
The Harbor Light Center is proud to have served the Indianapolis area for over 50 years. With its focus firmly on its mission, “Heart to God – Hand to Man”, the Salvation Army Harbor Light Center will continue to serve for years to come.
Harbor Light Center is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and conducts both weekly and Sunday morning worship services for those in treatment and rehabilitation programs and their families.
The center offers a full continuum of Addiction Treatment Services and a Transitional Housing Program for adults ages 18+ including a broad spectrum of professional counseling, including psychological, vocational and spiritual guidance. Harbor Light Center is CARF accredited and state certified with the Indiana Division of Mental Health and Addiction.